Design and Construction of Patchouli Chopper Machine
Patchouli (Pogostemon Patchouli) is a tropical shrub that produces essential oils called patchouli oil, used as a binder (fixative) in cosmetic ingredients. The design of construction of patchouli chopper machine is one of the solution to solve the following problems, such as inefficient cutting time, inconsistent productivity and bad quality of the product (Directorate of Post-harvest and Business Development Directorate General of Plantation Ministry of Agriculture, 2012). The location of the project is carried out at the Soroako Technical Academy. Data was collected through literature studies, and discussions with mentors. The patchouli cutting method used the principle of lever by using scissors or shearing machines. Dried patchouli leaves contain the volatile oil in the range of 1.4% to 4% and the volatile oil contains about 40% of patchouli alcohol. To get the expected results the chanting process is carried out using the 4-6 months patchouli. Based on the test results are in the rotation and blade angle of 650 rpm and 200° respectively. The position of patchouli when inserted in the machine must be horizontal in order to cut it properly. The arrangement of the rotation (rpm), angle of cutting knife and slitting knife cut, will give a significant effect to the cutting.
Harsokoesoemo, H. D. (1999). Metodologi Perancangan. ITB: Bandung
Sonawan, H. (2010). Perancangan Elemen Mesin. Bandung: Alfabeta
Copyright (c) 2019 Harjuma Harjuma, Wardayani Wardayani
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
- Authors retain copyright and other proprietary rights related to the article.
- Authors retain the right and are permitted to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books.
- Authors grant the publisher right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post or self-archive their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.